Thursday, December 11, 2008

When I buy a $60 videogame I want my money's worth


I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a disturbing trend in video games. Video games are getting shorter and shorter each year. The genre most affected by this is the FPS (first person shooter). I recently bought Call of Duty: World at War and Gears of War 2, both of which are good games with lots of intense action and fun gameplay. It's just that they both seemed to end and leave me wanting more. Both of them are beatable in 4-6 hours. If you take the price into consideration, that's $10-$15 per hour. Sure, there's multiplayer options and online capability, but some people don't have Xbox Live or people to play with. A lot of people buy games for the single player experience. It seems the game developers are beginning to focus more and more on online gameplay and less on multiplayer and single player.

Another trend that has been bothering me for a while is the lack of the "bot" option on all new shooters. There used to be an option in many games to add computer controlled AI characters to multiplayer matches. It added a lot to multiplayer matches and made games otherwise unplayable with 2 players more fun. I have to say though, recently games like Call of Duty: World at War and Gears of War 2 have included a co-op option, which is great. There's nothing like sitting down with a friend and killing some Nazi's or aliens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for web backgrounds.