Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Elder Scrolls V

OK, so now that Bethesda Softworks is done with Fallout 3 I can't help but wonder if they have already started on the next Elder Scrolls game. I'm sure they have. I did here some rumours that they might abandon the series but I doubt that after how well Oblivion sold. Actually I have heard rumours that they are and that they may not do it, so I'm going to wait until it is officially announced before I believe anything. So I suppose the fact that most people liked Oblivion was a good and a bad thing, for me at least. The good thing is because of its success there will most likely be a fifth installment. The bad thing is that they might take some of the stuff i don't like from Oblivion and carry it over to the next game. One good thing is that Bethesda always makes their games from the ground up. The don't use anything from other games, except ideas of course. They take the ideas and build a completely new and unique game, which I give them a lot of credit for. Most video game companies settle for the quick, cheap, one year later sequel. Let's see... Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, to name a few. All these series have installments that just feel like an update rather than a whole new game.

Well, back to my point. I always seem to get sidetracked on something. I just hope Bethesda builds more off of Fallout 3's success, minus the gore and dismemberment of course, rather than Oblivion's. Yeah, I would love to be able to chop peoples arms off with an ebony longsword but I think The Elder Scrolls series is meant for a younger audience. And by younger I mean like 13 and up or so. One thing I would like to see is more of a destructible environment. Like being able to destroy houses and trees and stuff. And I would love to be able to shoot a bolt of lightening at someone and see them burst into flames. Also, the cut-and-paste dungeon structure has to go. I want to be able to go into a dungeon and know I have not been there before.

Oh yeah, on the subject of Oblivion, I hold to the fact that I was the first person to discover the "Secret Door" inside of the Temple of the One in Imperial City. I got bored and started to wonder what would happen if I jumped outside of the town walls. Well all there was was a weird, barren landscape that was all glitchy and strange. For those who don't know, you're not actually supposed to jump outside the town walls. You're supposed to leave by the gate. Well my roof hopping led me to Imperial City and eventually I tried to get to the top of the temple. I just fell through and there was a door there that brought me to the final stage of the last mission of the main quest. I didn't hear anything about it online for a couple more weeks. I also got to the top of the big tower thingy, which I can't remember the name of, using the paint brush trick. (The paint brush trick is a glitch that caused all the paint brushed in the game to float in the air when dropped, so you could build a kind of "staircase" with them). It took me about two hours. I even have a saved game of it. I'll try to get a picture of it and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for web backgrounds.